After opening the settings dialog for the derived dataset (see https://support.lityxiq.com/241959-EditingDefining-a-Dataset-View), follow these steps to define any new fields to be created. It is not required that a derived dataset have any new fields defined.
If the New Fields panel is not already opened, click on that panel header to open it. If new fields have already been defined for this view, as in the example below, you will see a list of all fields currently defined. Note that the order that these appear in the list is intelligently figured out by LityxIQ, so that variables that build upon each other are shown in order top to bottom. Fields with code errors will be shown in red, with an explanation of the error provided as well.
Functionality of buttons
- Create New Field - click this to create a brand new variable in the dataset. See https://support.lityxiq.com/659636-Derived-Dataset-New-Fields-Editing-Window for more information on using the new field editing window.
- Create New Aggregation Field - click this button to create new Aggregation Fields in the dataset. See https://support.lityxiq.com/777879-Create-a-New-Aggregation-Field-with-Examples for more information on creating new aggregation fields, and see https://support.lityxiq.com/192161-New-Field-Aggregations---Concept-and-Comparisons for an overview of aggregation fields.
- Copy Selected and Paste - if you want to copy multiple new field definitions from one dataset to another (or even within the same dataset), you can use the checkboxes to the left of new fields to select those you wish to copy. Then click the Copy Selected button. Then click Paste in the New Fields area within the dataset you wish to paste these definitions (including the same dataset if you wish). Note that if the pasted fields have names or definitions that overlap with fields that already exist in the dataset, errors will be generated and shown, and you will be required to make those definitions consistent with what is already defined for that dataset.
Functionality of Links
Each new field listed will have three options available through the links on the right:
- Edit - clicking this link will open the dialog to edit the new field. See https://support.lityxiq.com/659636-Derived-Dataset-New-Fields-Editing-Window for more information.
- Copy - click this link to make a copy of this new field definition.
- Delete - click this link to delete the new field completely (a confirmation dialog will appear first).