Summary metrics in charts or graphs that you create in Insight have display settings that you can modify. These allow you to customize the chart with labels, colors, markers, styles, and other items. These settings are available from the Summary Metrics (or similar) area when defining the Insight.
The gear icon can be clicked to open the Display Settings dialog. The dialog has multiple tabs, which are explained below:
Style & Settings
Series Display Style - this setting controls how the data for this metric is visually displayed. Options such as Columns/Bars, Line, and Spline.can be selected. Note that you can select different display styles for different metrics, thereby having a mix of bars, lines, bubbles, etc on the same chart.
Display Formatting- this setting controls the formatting of values for the metric displayed on the screen (either in hover effects or in labels). Details:
- If you leave this empty, a default format will be used for the values, based on the data dictionary's settings for prefix, suffix, and decimals. If you want to display with a custom format, enter a formatting string for how you want labels and other references to the values to be displayed. The special symbol "%" denotes the format to use. Example formatting strings:
- %.2f will format a floating point number (the "f") with 2 digits to the right of the decimal
- $%.1f will place the $ character followed by the number with 1 digit to the right of the decimal
- %d will format the value as an integer (the "d" refers to integer)
- %.3f%% will format the value with 3 decimal places and follow it with a percent sign ("%%" means place a single percent sign)
Use Default Color - Check this box to use a default color for this data when shown on the chart. Uncheck it to select a specific custom color.
Color - if you do not use the default color, you are provided the option to specify a specific color for this metric.
Y-Axis - Set the y-axis to use for this metric. Y-axis 1 is shown on the left. Any metric set to use a y-axis greater than one will have it's own y-axis on the right side of the chart. This allows you to use multiple y-axes for metrics that are on very different scales.
Zoom Y-Axis - Check this box to zoom the y-axis to include just the values in the data. In this case, the y-axis may not start at zero. If you leave it unchecked, the y-axis will be scaled to start at 0 or the minimum y-value if the min is less than zero.
Opacity - Set the visual opacity for this series. An opacity of 0 makes it invisible, while 1 makes it normal full opacity.
Marker Type - select the type of marker to show at the data point. For some display styles, such as Column/Bars, this is ignored. It is most useful for Line and Spline display styles.
Marker Size - select the size of the marker as it is displayed, in pixels.
Labels allows you to show the formatted value of each data point directly on the chart or graph.
Use Labels - check this box to show data point labels.
Show Label Border - check this box to show a border around the label. This can be mostly helpful on charts with a lot of information to help delineate which label goes with which data point.
When done, click Save and Close to save the display settings.