To define or edit a Chart in Insight, follow these steps:
1) From the available charts list, select the chart to be edited (it will highlight blue-gray) and select ‘Edit’ from the ‘Selected Chart’ menu. Note: if this is a newly created chart, this step is not required; please proceed to Step 2.
2) The Edit Chart window will appear. The available tabs will be discussed below.
The Setup tab contains two different sections:
Data and Variables
- Dataset - select the dataset to be used as a basis for the chart.
- Analysis Variable - select the variable to be displayed on the horizontal axis of the chart.
- Series Variable - select the variable to be used as the basis for displaying different bars or lines on the chart. For example, to show a different bar or line for each gender in the dataset, select Gender.
- Variable Settings Button - see https://support.lityxiq.com/708472-Variable-Settings-in-Insight for more information on options available for variable transformations.
Summary Metrics - the Summary Metrics box is explained in the following article: https://support.lityxiq.com/769101-Computing-Summary-Metrics-in-Insight
The filter tab can be used to specify a subset of the data to use for creating the chart. See https://support.lityxiq.com/806706-Using-the-Filter-Dialog for more information on using the filtering and searching dialog.
Titles & Labels Tab
See the article here for more information about the Titles and Labels settings: https://support.lityxiq.com/614854-Titles-and-Labels-Settings-in-Insight.
3) Preview the chart, save it, or cancel changes using the buttons at the bottom of the dialog.
- Preview - view the chart using the currently defined settings. This does not permanently save the settings.
- Save - save the currently defined settings for the chart, but do not exit the dialog.
- Save and Close - save the currently defined settings and exit the dialog.
- Cancel - cancel any changes made and exit.
4) Output - if you selected both a series variable and multiple summary metrics, the multiple metrics will be available in a dropdown box on the upper left of the display window. Otherwise, a single chart similar to below will result from the chart settings.